Athletics / News

Basketball All-Star Alexa Charles Racks Up Stats In Sophomore Season

Alexa Charles, captain of the Hawks women’s basketball team, was named a First Team All Star by CUNYAC.  (Photo Credit: Alexa Charles)

Despite the women’s basketball team losing in the semifinals to end the season two weeks ago, Hawks captain Alexa Charles has a winning attitude.

“I was very eager to get to the start of the season,” said Charles. “My mindset was to consistently train, get stronger and more skilled at what I do as an individual player to bring more to the table for myself and my teammates.”

Charles, a 19-year-old sophomore who is from Tarrytown, N.Y., is a guard for Hunter College’s women’s basketball team. In just two seasons, she has racked up an impressive resume.

In her rookie season, Charles was named City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) Rookie of the Week 10 times. She was also crowned Rookie Of The Year by the CUNYAC and Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC).

Charles averaged a team-leading 19.6 points per game, along with 7.4 rebounds in 23 games during her rookie season. She finished the season tied for first in steals in all of NCAA Division III with an impressive 151 steals.

This year, Charles not only took a jump as a leader, but her stats did as well. She averaged an impressive 24.5 points per game and 11.3 rebounds per game in 22 games played. Charles was named CUNYAC Player of the Week four times and the Division II/ III Women’s Player of the Week by the Met Basketball Writers Association for the first time. Most recently, she was also named a First Team All Star by the CUNYAC.

“It feels great being recognized for the accomplishments that I’ve received because I worked hard to get to this point,” said Charles.

Charles’ leadership on the court was acknowledged when she was named Most Valuable Player by Hunter Athletics. Her leadership wasn’t just on the court, as she developed special bonds and relationships off the court.

“I’ve made friendships and bonds with my teammates that I never have had before which I value tremendously,” said Charles.

This year, one valuable lesson Charles brought over from her rookie season was to be patient and let the game come to her. She said she lets the defense and offense come to her as it lets her play fast. She has learned she plays better when she is not thinking.

Charles scored her 1000th career point in just her 47th college game in a win against Brooklyn College on Jan. 30th, 2024. (Photo Credit: Alexa Charles)

Named captain in her sophomore season, Charles said she always made sure the team played together and had fun. Through the highs and lows, she made sure to be a role model for her teammates and uplift them.

“Working with her has been one of the best coaching experiences I have had thus far in my career,” said Hunter College Women’s Basketball Coach John Garrett. “Lex works incredibly hard at the game, she has a relentless pursuit for improvement, and is one who accepts coaching.”

Charles has dreams that exceed basketball, as she wants to become an accountant. The qualities it takes to lead the Hawks are qualities she will need when working at a firm post-college, Garrett said.

“She is an elite student with the goal of graduating with her accounting degree,” said Garrett. “As someone who has worked with her these past two years, I am confident she will be an all-star accountant.”

Tags: ,