Culture / News / Student Life

Sip Sip Away: Hunter’s New Bubble Tea Spot

There’s a new drink option available at the cafeteria in the West Building: bubble tea.

Some students said they are open to trying the bubble tea, while others were rather indifferent to the opening of the new drink spot on Tuesday, April 9.

The bubble tea is part of a larger menu of freshly-blended signature drinks that Hunter College is offering students, which already includes lemonade, iced tea, and milk tea smoothies.

The advertisement posters and banners say the drinks are crafted by Botrista. According to the Botrista’s website, it makes machines “that automates beverage solutions to food service operators.”

A poster with examples of the different drinks options.
Photo by Coco Lin

The counter for the drinks is located on the far right side of the cafeteria, near the hot sandwich section. It will be open between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.

“I would be really happy if they have different flavors such as Oreo [or] coconut,” said Samantha Augustine, a freshman who plans on majoring in Public Relations. “That would be awesome.”

Augustine said that she does not get bubble tea often, but would be willing to pay $5 to get bubble tea at Hunter. Other students said they are willing to spend anywhere from $3 to $9, depending on the quality.

“I hope it’s cheaper than Gong Cha,” said Celeste Fretes Barboza, a sophomore Political Science major. “Depending on the quality and how they make the bubbles. The pearls are really hard to make. I had to do it once at my church in a rice cooker.”

Fretes Barboza goes to Gong Cha, a bubble tea shop across the street from Hunter College, at least once a week, or depending on how well she budgets her money.

She said her most favorite drink there is strawberry milk tea, to which she sometimes adds Oreos.

Augustine and Fretes Barboza, who are friends, said their favorite bubble tea spots are either Kung Fu tea in Koreatown or I’Milky in midtown Manhattan. They liked warm sugar milk tea and real taro milk tea, but the bubble tea flavor depends on the shop.

“Honestly, I go to Gong Cha because it’s close by,” said Fretes Barboza “It’s the only thing that is available.”

The drink menu.
Photo by Coco Lin

Other students that do not go to Gong Cha were impartial to the opening of the new shop in the cafeteria.

Debora Andakkungu, a masters student in Economics who is about to graduate, said that she goes to Gong Cha once every few months, even though she often brings food and drinks from home.

“I would pay around $6 dollars because I usually paid around $6.80,” said Andakkungu. “But they should give students discounts or stamp cards.”

There was one student who said that he would never try bubble tea.

“I saw the banner but didn’t know what it was about,” said Mauricio Miranda, a senior who plans to be an Education major. “I never had bubble tea ever and probably will not, though I’m not against it. I just don’t go to the cafeteria.”

Miranda said that he usually eats at home, and if he had to get something to eat or drink, it would be from the vending machines.

When asked why he had never tried bubble tea, Miranda said he also never had milkshakes and did not want to chew something while drinking a liquid.

“I only drink three things, soda, juice, and water,” said Miranda. “Oh, wait also milk, so four drinks.”

Miranda said he just isn’t interested in the bubble tea bandwagon.

At the drink counter, there is a Botrista machine set up, with its plastic white surface alongside clear plastic cups ready to go.

It is too soon to tell if the bubble tea offered in the cafeteria will be a hit.

“I don’t trust it, it’s $4,” smirked Barboza, tapping her chin with her finger as she was looked over the price and options.

Tags: , , , , ,