ON THE CALENDAR
- Events on October 21, 2014
- Concert: Hilliard Greene and the Jazz ExpressionsStarts: 8:00 pmEnds: October 21, 2014 - 10:00 pmLocation: Bronx Music Heritage Center Laboratory, 1303 Louis 9 Blvd, New York, NY, United StatesDescription: Admission: free and open to the public. The BMHC is proud to present Hilliard Greene and The Jazz Expressions. Many may know the group as the touring band for Little Jimmy Scott, but tonight Greene and his ensemble will present new compositions about the Bronx for the first time. In addition to Greene on bass, the band includes TK Blue on sax and flute, Dwayne Broadnax on drums and Sharp Radway on piano. For more information, visit http://www.hilliardgreene.com
- Events on October 24, 2014
- 1040 Lounge: Be More Social: Using New Media to Build AudienceStarts: 7:30 pmEnds: October 24, 2014 - 10:30 pmLocation: Bronx Museum of the Arts, 1040 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10456, United StatesDescription: Admission: free, with a bar; donations are suggested. Social media has become far more important to our daily lives in just a few short years. The Bronx Museum of the Arts is happy to offer a new installment of 1040 Lounge with Social Media Manager Ron Kavanaugh, who will offer tips on how to effectively market yourself, your work and your business in the new fast-paced social media landscape. Bronx Museum of the Arts, 1040 Grand Concourse at 165th Street. 718-681-6000
- Events on October 25, 2014
- The Reunion: Jose Alberto "El Canario" Trae La Típica ’73Starts: 9:00 pmEnds: October 25, 2014 - 11:00 pmLocation: Lehman Center for the Performing Arts, 250 Bedford Park Blvd W, Bronx, NY, United StatesDescription: Admission: tickets range from $30 to $50. The Lehman Center for Performing Arts is proud to present this historic reunion of Jose Alberto “El Canario” with La Típica ’73. Many of the original stars will be at the show, including Camilo Azuquita, Tito Allen, Sonny Bravo and many more! There will also be a free CD giveaway of Jose Alberto’s new album “Romantico y Rumbero.” For more information and to purchase tickets, visit lehmancenter.org.
- Events on October 26, 2014
- A Tribute to Bertha HopeStarts: 5:00 pmEnds: October 26, 2014 - 7:00 pmLocation: Morris Academy For Collaborative Studies, 1100 Boston Rd, New York, NY, United StatesDescription: Admission: free and open to the public. The BMHC will honor the work of famed jazz pianist Bertha Hope at this one-time event. Hope has a long and varied career, from her time with Thelonius Monk to the formation of all-woman jazz band Jazzberry Jam. The afternoon will include and on-stage interview with Ms. Hope by jazz pianist Valerie Capers, as well as a performance by the Bertha Hope Quintet. The event will take place in the auditorium of the historic Morris High School, the first public high school in the Bronx.
- Events on November 15, 2014
- Puerto Rican Heritage Month: A Bronx Rising! EventStarts: 6:00 pmEnds: November 15, 2014 - 8:00 pmLocation: Bronx Music Heritage Center Laboratory, 1303 Louis 9 Blvd, New York, NY, United StatesDescription: Admission: free and open to the public. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of famed Puerto Rican poet Julia de Burgos. Her time at the famous progressive newspaper Pueblos Hispanos is historic, and her work will be celebrated at this event co-sponsored by BORIMIX and The Association for Puerto Rican and Hispanic Culture, Inc. The evening will feature a screen of the 2002 film Julia, Toda en mi, along with poetry readings and a musical performance.
41st Precinct ACTION Banana Kelly High School BankNote building Barretto Point Park Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. Bronx River Bronx River Alliance Carey Clark Casita Maria Center for Arts and Education City Councilwoman Maria del Carmen Arroyo Community Board 2 Concrete Plant Park District Manager Rafael Salamanca green jobs House of Horrors Hunts Point Hunts Point Alliance for Children Hunts Point Economic Development Corp. Hunts Point Market Hunts Point Riverside Park Hyde Leadership Charter School Kellie Terry-Sepulveda Longwood Majora Carter Mothers on the Move Mott Haven MS 424 Nos Quedamos NYOFCo PS 48 Rafael Salamanca Rep. Jose Serrano Rocking the Boat Sheridan Expressway South Bronx South Bronx Greenway Southern Bronx River Watershed Alliance Sustainable South Bronx Tanya Fields Tats Cru The Point CDC The Point Community Development Corp. Urban Health Plan Youth Ministries for Peace and Justice